Friday 6 September 2019

Find the beauty in the old, the worn and the weathered

When my youngest son announced that he would like to relocate to Barcelona with his girlfriend, I didn't know how to feel.  Part of me was happy that he would begin this amazing new adventure, part of me knew that I would miss having him around.  When he was deciding on the logistics of getting there and suggested he should drive down in our car, for us to get it back to Sheffield, I was not jumping for joy.  Then I thought about it...leisurely travelling back through Europe, visiting a few places that have been on my wish list....maybe it wasn't such a bad idea at all.

The plan was to arrive in Barcelona and spend a couple of days with Tom and Darcie before saying our farewells and heading back to Sheffield over the next week or so.  Just like so many of you who have spotted Folk Art on your travels this summer and sent us some wonderful photos, I was thrilled to spot this gorgeous handpainted fan in a shop in Barcelona.



After saying our farewells, we headed to Andorra (pictured above) and most recently we have just stayed in a little village called Bourg near Bordeaux.  After a busy few months renovating the offices, I have to say I am in love with the slower pace of life here.  I was not able to seek out any Folk Art but what struck me as we enjoyed life in the village was the beautifully worn appearance it had.  


From faded colours to peeling layers and years of use, I was surrounded by the beauty of the worn and weathered.  It struck me that I have spent hours during my life striving to achieve this look on chairs and other pieces of furniture but there is something so humbling about seeing it in all its glory when it has happened naturally.  


I can create a distressed finish with a wet rag, Weathered Wood or candle wax but walking around this village thinking about the stories these doors and windows must be able to tell was fascinating.  In a world where so many have a desire to fill their world with the new, the bright, the shiny, this was a lovely reminder that old is so, so beautiful.  

Layers of paint, years of wear, plenty of character. 

I did spot this shop that I would have loved to have visited but it wasn't meant to be. Maybe it will be open next time I'm on my travels....

Love, Carol x




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© You Can Folk It!. All rights reserved.
designed by pipdig