Tuesday 21 May 2019

The worst advice I've heard

You'll need to invest years in learning something new, don't you know it takes thousands of hours to become an expert? How many of us have heard 'It takes 10,000 hours to master any skill' According to some, this is the key to mastering a skill and it was first seen in a paper written by Anders Ericsson in the '90s, a University Professor who reviewed studies of the practice habits of violin students from childhood through to adulthood.  Since then, the idea that we need to commit 10,000 hours to master something new has been widely discussed and referred to by many.  

The problem with this statement is that for many, it is daunting.  10,000 hours to be good at something? To be confident in your skills? Somehow it begins to sound like work, it feels stressful and for a lot of people, the element of fun seems to disappear upon hearing this.  

Carol Sykes from You Can Folk It painting a wall mural at The Handmade Fair


In all honesty, if I had heard this before I began my creative journey to learn Folk Art, I would have thought twice about it.  For me, I wanted something fun, some time for me in those early years of motherhood.  Yes, my ultimate goal was to be able to use my skills in the home, to paint my furniture, my walls...to transform my house to a home, but more than that I wanted to relax and enjoy the process.  

I was a complete beginner. I had no experience in painting or any other creative pursuits and my drawing abilities left a lot to be desired but in those classes, I found a creative pursuit that was skill based meaning that with practice, I knew I could achieve something. So if I knew I had to practice, to spend time developing my skills why do I have an issue with the above statement? 

For me, the flippant comment that it takes 10,000 hours can be so problematic for many thinking of learning a new skill.  Just as so many of us were told we are not creative by others; statements like these can stay with us for a long time.  For some, it may make the process of learning less enjoyable, others may give up in those early stages, and it may even discourage some individuals from beginning altogether.  

Before: red and white beginners Vintage roses

Confident and beautiful Vintage Roses painted on to a plant pot

One of our students - On the left is one of her first Vintage Rose projects, on the right is her vintage rose plant pot created months later after 20 minutes (almost) daily practice.   


As a student learning Folk Art and as a teacher, I strongly believe that small, regular bouts of practice are the most beneficial.  The advice I give my students in those early days when they need to teach their muscles to hold a brush and move the brush is to try to spend 20 minutes a day practicing your brushstrokes, whether that is with paint on your brush or just using water.  This will help build your skills and you will see a real difference in your brushstrokes in a few weeks.  

When we choose to try a new skill, very few of us wish to become an expert so why have we adopted the idea of 10,000 hours so readily? In a recent video, Josh Kaufman states that to learn anything, to go from a complete beginner to being good, to feeling confident about your skills takes about 20 hours.  Now doesn't that sound more achievable? It certainly feels more hopeful, more achievable...more fun!

Keep your practice sheets so you can see the progress you are making.  This student began with daisies and hindeloopen flowers (see sheets left and right of the image) and finished the workshop with the canal art roses (centre).  Her strokes became more confident with practice.
By being mindful that 20 minutes a day is all that stands between beginner brushstrokes and confident, well-shaped brushstrokes, we are less likely to give up when we hit an obstacle.  Those early hours of practice may be frustrating as you get the hang of how to hold and move your brush but if you can commit to 20 minutes a day, you will see your commitment pay off.  

So, next time you see the 10,000-hour rule somewhere, think twice.  Learning something new is achievable and it doesn't take years.  If, after your 20 hours is over, you wish to give up; walk away from it but don't dabble.  Don't listen to the voice in your head telling you to give up after a few mistakes, you may miss out on more than you think. 

What do you think? Do you agree with the 10,000 rule or has your learning experience been different? Please let me know in the comments. 

Carol x 


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© You Can Folk It!. All rights reserved.
designed by pipdig